Before treating toenail fungus at home, it is necessary to determine the form and stage of the disease. With superficial onychomycosis, compresses and lotions are used. But if the nail fold is involved in inflammation, foot baths are done. To prevent the reproduction of pathogenic fungi and bacteria, herbs and antiseptic products are added to home remedies.
How to identify an infection
Onychomycosis is a fungal infection of the cornea of the fingers. Clinical symptoms depend on the cause of the disease, the type of pathogen. Nail infection with a fungus is indicated by:
- white spots;
- delamination of the free edge;
- surface roughness.
In an advanced stage of the disease, the subungual and periungual spaces are affected. The skin acquires a red tint, becomes thinner, peels off, swells. Onychomycosis is fraught with the addition of a bacterial infection. This is indicated by suppuration around the thumb nail.
How to treat nail fungus with folk methods at home
An acidic environment and high humidity are the ideal conditions for the reproduction of the fungus. Therefore, nail fungus is more common in people who neglect hygiene and suffer from hyperhidrosis. To eliminate the fungal flora, folk remedies are used that have the following properties:
In the early stages, the fungus is easily treatable. The course of treatment with alternative medicine lasts from 1 to 6 months.
Nail fungus is treated until healthy nails grow back. With the advanced fungus, therapy lasts from 6 to 12 months.
You can quickly cure the fungus at home with tar. Contains toluene and xylene, which have anti-parasitic and antiseptic effects. But in order to destroy the fungal flora, it is necessary to use the remedy correctly:
- the feet go up in the water for 15 minutes;
- the softened nail layer is scraped off with a scraper;
- tar is applied on top for 30-40 minutes.
The affected area is treated with tar 3 times a day, and after the disappearance of the symptoms of onychomycosis - 1 time, 15 minutes before bedtime.
Eucalyptus helps get rid of nail fungus in a couple of months. The plant has disinfectant, softening and deodorant properties. Eucalyptus ointment shows maximum effectiveness against the fungus:
- mix 5 ml of vinegar and melted honey;
- add 5-7 drops of eucalyptus extract;
- leave in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
The finished ointment is applied to damaged fingers and nails up to 5 times a day.
It is not recommended to use eucalyptus ointment if there are foci of purulent inflammation, cracks or open wounds on the legs.
Gold mustache dye
Scented callisia contains flavonoids and phytosterols, which help remove the fungus on the legs in 2-3 weeks. Preparing the tincture is simple:
- 1 glass of crushed plant pour 200 ml of vodka;
- insist in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
The dye cleans the nails at least 5 times a day. With the redness of the nail roller, lotions are done for 15-20 minutes 3 times a day.
Peppermint and salt lotions are an easy way to treat toenail fungus. The tool destroys not only fungal, but also bacterial infection. It is used in the treatment of onychomycosis and to prevent purulent complications.
Recipe for an antifungal agent:
- 1 teaspoon is dissolved in 200 ml of water. sea salt;
- add 10 ml of mint leaf juice;
- gauze is moistened in the solution;
- applied to the interdigital area and nails.
To get rid of the infection, you need to do lotions at least 2 times a day. If there is no improvement, then the procedure is carried out more often.
Dye of lilac flowers
The tool has an antiparasitic and healing effect. To get rid of onychomycosis on the legs, you need:
- put in a jar 2 tbsp. L. flowers;
- pour 150 ml of vodka;
- insist in a dark place for 3 weeks;
- treat the affected areas with the tincture three times a day.
With increased sweating of the legs, it is recommended to wipe the interdigital area with tincture at least 2 times a day.
With nail fungus, you can fight compresses with kombucha. They soften the nail plate, making it easier to remove layers with a fungal infection.
- Kombucha plates are applied to the fingers in the nail area;
- wrap the feet with polyethylene;
- fix the compress with a bandage;
- wear wool socks;
- leave the compress overnight.
After waking up, the feet are washed with water and the nails treated with iodine or ammonia.
Kombucha is suitable for the treatment of athlete's foot, rubromycosis and other types of athlete's foot.
Poplar buds tincture
Poplar sprouts contain essential oils, salicylic acid and flavonoids, which destroy the fungus in the cornea of the fingers. In the fight against onychomycosis, they are used in the form of tincture:
- ½ part of a glass with kidneys is poured into 150 ml of vodka;
- insist in a dark place for 2 weeks;
- clean the affected area with liquid 3 times a day.
Fungus on horny plaques rarely occurs in isolation. To remove all lesions on the legs, make lotions with the tincture for 25-30 minutes 2-3 times a day.
Wine vinegar against nail fungus
Vinegar can cure fungus on the nails and skin - the feet or the area between the toes. Antiseptic baths have a high penetration capacity:
- ½ l of vinegar is heated on the stove and poured into a basin;
- feet are immersed in liquid for 15 minutes;
- dry the skin with a towel;
- wear warm socks.
After steaming, the vinegar is not washed off. The procedure is done every other day before going to bed. This method of treating fungi is used only in the absence of cracks and ulcers on the skin.
Quick Sour Cream Treatment with Gunpowder
A blend of smokeless powder and sour cream helps get rid of toenail fungus in 2-3 weeks. The tool has a complex action: antifungal, antiseptic and healing. It is very easy to prepare and use:
- in the 3rd l. thick sour cream add 1 tsp. smokeless powder;
- the mixture is abundantly lubricated with lesions;
- wrap your feet with polyethylene and put on socks;
- leave the product on overnight.
After waking up, the rest of the mixture is washed off with warm water.
It is advisable to apply for at least 14 consecutive days. With the inflammation of the nail roller, 5 ml of sage broth is added to the sour cream.
Vinegar and potassium permanganate
Running toenail fungus can be destroyed with a solution of potassium permanganate and apple cider vinegar:
- 1 liter of vinegar (9% solution) is poured into 3 liters of hot water;
- add potassium permanganate so that the liquid acquires a pink tint;
- in the solution, the feet are steamed for at least 20 minutes before bedtime.
With onychomycosis with a strongly exfoliating nail, baths are done every day for at least 2 weeks. After the procedure, the exfoliating parts of the horny plates are carefully cut.
Easy treatment: salt and soda
In order for the therapy of onychomycosis on the legs to be successful, an alkaline environment is created in the lesions. In it, the fungus does not multiply, due to which recovery occurs. To destroy the fungal flora, the following remedy is used:
- in 2 liters of water dissolve 1 tbsp. L. soda and salt;
- legs are steamed in a heated solution for half an hour;
- Wash your feet with water and dry them with a towel.
After the bath, it is desirable to treat the affected area with hydrogen peroxide, iodine. Thyme or tea tree essential oils are applied to the interdigital area.
Natural coffee contains organic acids, trace elements and vitamins. Baths with this drink not only inhibit the reproduction of the fungus, but also stimulate local immunity. If flaking patches appear on the big toe and your nails are covered with white spots, use this remedy:
- 5th l. the coffee is boiled in 1 liter of water;
- fingers are immersed in a liquid with a temperature up to 50 ° C;
- after 10 minutes the peel dries, but the coffee residues are not washed off.
Foot baths should be done every day before bedtime. With the swelling of the nail roller, applications with coffee grounds are carried out.
The minimum course of therapy for onychomycosis is 2 months. Discontinuation of treatment is dangerous with relapses of the fungus.
Effective remedy for nail fungus - tea tree oil
Tea tree essential oil is an effective antifungal agent with a healing effect. It can be applied as a compress or lotion. With extensive injuries, foot baths are used:
- in 1 liter of hot water dissolve 1 tsp. salt and soda;
- add 5 ml of melted honey and 20 drops of tea tree extract;
- legs rise for half an hour.
Dermatologists recommend treating the affected plaques with oil at least 5 times a day.
Often the treatment of toenail fungus at home is done with bee products. Propolis has a marked fungicidal and antiparasitic activity. To destroy the infection are used:
- Dyeing. A piece of propolis is poured with vodka in a ratio of 1: 10. Infused in a cool place for 10-14 days. The agent treats the affected area 3-4 times a day.
- Infusion of water. Crushed propolis is poured with water in a ratio of 1: 3. The liquid disinfects lesions up to 5 times a day.
Alcohol tincture and water infusion are also used to combat mycosis of the legs. They are added to foot baths, pack solutions and lotions.
How to remove the fungus with celandine
Celandine is a bactericidal and fungicidal agent. It destroys most of the fungi that parasitize the legs. To get rid of the fungal flora, you need:
- grind fresh herbs in a meat grinder or blender;
- mix equally with medical alcohol;
- lubricate the lesions with a solution three times a day.
With swelling of the nail roller and subungual space, a decoction of sage or calendula should be added to the solution. They destroy pathogenic bacteria, accelerate scars on the skin.
How to cure a fungus at home with iodine, peroxide and ammonia
Pharmacy antiseptic is the best remedy for toenail fungus. With the use of drugs, it is possible to quickly destroy the infection inside the plates. To eliminate the fungal flora, the following are used:
- Hydrogen peroxide. Peroxide is mixed in equal quantities with boiled water. In a heated liquid, the legs are steamed for half an hour. After the procedure, the outer layer of the nail is cleaned and treated with salicylic acid.
- Iodine. In 2 liters of warm water add 30 drops of the drug and 3 tsp. drink. The feet hover in the liquid for 25-30 minutes. Foot baths with iodine should be done 4 times a day.
- Ammonia. In a glass of water, dilute 15 ml of ammonia. A cotton swab is moistened in the liquid and applied to the lesions for 7-8 hours. It is best to put the compresses at night.
To get rid of the fungus, the feet are treated with antiseptics for at least 3 weeks in a row. For dehydrated skin, a hypoallergenic cream with a neutral pH is used.
How to prepare your toenails for treatment
Proper preparation is the key to effective treatment of onychomycosis of the legs. If you take a bath every night, this will speed up the peeling of the damaged horny plaques.
Stages of preparation:
- Steaming. In 2 liters of hot water add 1 tbsp. L. soda and 1 tsp. Iodine solution. Raise your legs for 20-30 minutes.
- Cleaning. The softened layer of the nails is removed with a scraper, a nail file.
- Drying. After the procedure, the skin of the legs is dried with a towel. Next, antifungal agents are applied to the affected areas.
The recovery period will be shortened by 2-3 times if the procedure is carried out daily.
Prevention of reinfection
Proper foot care prevents reproliferation of the fungus in the interdigital area, horny plaques. To avoid a recurrence of onychomycosis, you should:
- washing the feet with laundry soap twice a day;
- disinfect shoes with antiseptics at least once every three days;
- wear socks made of breathable materials;
- treat leg wounds with iodine or nitrofural.
A few weeks after the symptoms of the fungus on the legs disappear, you can not visit public swimming pools, saunas. The risk of reinfection is reduced with timely treatment of chronic diseases.